Monday, December 22, 2008

Oh, What A Year!

And what an autumn to boot. Life in the Stewart-Consoer household has been *interesting* these last few months. A whole lot of good, and a little not-so-good too. For now I'll just stick with the good ;) It's been a while since I last posted and Johann has had, let's see, his first Halloween (woot), his first election (he was right there on his mama's lap while she voted), and his first birthday.

Of course, being the mama I am, I just had to take full advantage of the Halloween event to dress Johann up in the most potentially embarrassing costume I could find. That's right, the kid was a TEDDY BEAR! Paws, ears, and a red bow to top it off. The real deal. I know I can't get away with this forever. What do I have? Maybe one or two more years before he starts insisting on being G.I. Joe or Superman? This mama is going to get all the cutesy costumes out of her system while she can. Next year, I'm thinking a bunny costume will be in order ;)

Note Johann's two bottom teeth prominently displayed here. He has since finally grown his top two teeth as well, but that was so recent I don't have photos yet.


We decided every bear needs some time outdoors and what better activity than salmon fishing?



Of course, papa bears need to stay close by for safety.


After a long day fishing, we spent the early evening trick-or-treating at the university's dorms. Apparently people do that here because Halloweens in the north are often too cold for the little ones to be outdoors at night for long. This year's Halloween was balmy by Minnesota standards, but we went to the dorms anyhow.

Johann was a hit! Let me tell you, the boy has a knack with the ladies already. Those college girls were all over him. He was a little stand-offish at first, but after visiting the first few dorm rooms, he knew that not only was there gorgeous older women just begging to slather him with attention, but there was also a lot of treats to be had. After a couple dozen dorm rooms we decided to head to the local mall, which is another place people take their kids for Halloween. Unfortunately we arrived too late for the trick-or-treating, but Johann got some rides under his belt to make it all worth while. Apparently becoming an astronaut is on his long-list of potential career options. That and being a janitor, as he has a thing for toilets, but that's another blog entry for another day.


Then there was the election. Ah, the election. What more needs to be said? I mean, really? Anyone who knows us knows exactly how we've felt for, I dunno, eight very long years. Just in case you've developed amnesia or something here's a cute picture of Johann to help you out. Note that the bottom of his t-shirt says "poopyhead." I don't want anyone getting any wrong ideas.


This is a picture of Dan and Johann just after a glorious political rally just two days before the election.


And here is a photo of Johann at the park just after we voted. I think he was picking up on the general vibe of the day :) People at the park were celebrating already!




Then there was Johann's first birthday. The year went by so fast! Please tell me that the next 17 years won't go by quite so quickly, because I don't think I could bear it. I already want time to stop. Dan and I overdid it with the gifts of course. Probably in an effort to make up for the lack of family around to celebrate with us. Why do we have to live so far away from everyone? Why?! Johann didn't know the difference, though, and I am certain he had a wonderful first birthday. I mean, there was cake to eat for the first time, gifts to tear up, string and bows in abundance, boxes to play with, and (oh yeah) lots of gifts and toys. Because no birthday blog entry is complete without the requisite cake photos, here are some of the little guy and his first tastes of the sweet pastry.


A tentative touch and taste.


And the rest quickly became history.

How is that for a happy one-year-old birthday boy!


3 comments:

  1. What an adorable little boy.... and he is looking older and older by the day. Somehow, our little babies turned into toddlers on us. Walking, talking, smiling, toddlers with loads of personality! What a cutie! I loved your post! It's so glad to "see" you again!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh, what a cutie!! I wish I had a picture of Rori in her "Babies for Obama" shirt on election day! It was a great election for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK...first of all, why has no one corrected me when I've written your name (several times) as Heather Schmidt? I guess it didn't bother you TOO much, eh? :) On to cuter things: teddy bear-freakin adorable! I feel the same way. When Mina insists on choosing her own clothing, I WILL throw myself to the floor, kicking and screaming "IT'S TOO SOON!" That'll teach her for growing up too fast! She's going to be a bumblebee this year!

    ReplyDelete